Re: new immanence - Chirac cheats!
by Threehegemons
18 February 2003 13:11 UTC

A few notes--I'm beginning to wonder about this dichotomy I keep
hearing--immanence, good; transcendence, bad.  I thought postmodernity was
supposed to deconstruct binary oppositions.  In the nineties, we always heard
constructivism, good; essentialism, bad--whatever happened to that one?

The moral impeachibility (or not) of the multitude has little to do with
whether or not its actions may have impact in the present or the future.

Wars are won or lost on the cultural plane--i.e., one side becomes convinced it
cannot win, or trying to continue to fight would have excessive consequences.
This was even true of  Japan's fight with the US in World War II--atom bombs
intimidated Japan definitively, rather than actually disarm their army.  If the
US  is brought to heel, it will involve a number of factors--those it is
directly fighting with, 'allies', 'world public opinion', domestic politics.
All of these have to be watched and analyzed to understand how the situation is
unfolding.

The key differences between the present and the cold war--Western Europe does
not believe it urgently needs the protection of the US, and the weak economic
position of the US.

Steven Sherman