Re: Statement by US Senator Robert Byrd (fwd)
by Luke Rondinaro
16 February 2003 20:57 UTC

Senator Byrd’s speech is interesting.  In many ways, a much-needed corrective to the banter we’re getting out of most Democrats and Republicans in Washington lately.

If there’s one thing that gets my goat up, it’s the continual posturing of Beltway politicians, “conservative” and “liberal” (“Republicrats” is a fitting name for these peas in a pod).  The “Liberals” complain about Bush and whine about his policies abroad (and then they do nothing, it seems, to actually stand against them).  In fact, many of these same people get into a “if the Republicans support Bush’s War on Terror, we do too ... but better” attitude towards such issues.

The scary thing is, though, there’s more to the contemporary world scene than the Administration and its supporters give credence to by their shallow concepts. How far are we as Americans willing to go to get complete “security” in our “homeland?”  Where and when does the “War on Terror” stop and with regard to whom?  (Have we even sufficiently defined what “terrorism” means and who exactly gets categorized as being a terrorist or are we just leaving that door open so that sometime later, another president can say:  ‘Well, we’ve had enough of Group X.  Let’s call them terrorists and crack down on them.’ Where does it end?)  And, have we even considered the implications and fruits of the war on Iraq being planned for by the Bush regime?

I’m happy to say Byrd’s statement here is a step in the right direction.  But, don’t expect it to amount to much and don’t think just this will get the ball rolling with the rest of the Congress.  They may even pat him on the back for this “courageous” statement, but I’m afraid it will “just” be more “talk.”  What we need right now is a real, full-fledged discussion of the issues within the public arena; what we need less of is the usual fare out of Washington officials (i.e., posturing and double-talk).  Let’s work for this real debate in the public arena; but don’t be surprised – we may get another dose of what we’ve always gotten out of Washington.

Best!

Luke Rondinaro

Group Facilitator, The Consilience Projects

http://www.geocities.com/larondin/consilience_projects.html

Listserv:  http://www.topica.com/lists/consiliencep

(Would you like to subscribe or contribute to the Consilience Projects?  Just  press “subscribe” on the List Page, sign-up, and the Topica system will take it from there.  For more info. please see the Geocities web page and/or contact me personally at larondin@yahoo.com.  You can send messages to The Consilience Project’s listserv at consiliencep@topica.com.  Thank you.

Wednesday 12 February 2003

Statement by US Senator Robert Byrd

Senate Floor Speech

We Stand Passively Mute