Re: A frightening picture of American superiority
by Alan Spector
07 February 2003 03:41 UTC

But for all of Johann Hari's supposed insight, including acknowledgement of
U.S. government practices in overthrowing and controlling government from
Iran to Chile to Vietnam--------after all that, Johann Hari concludes that
he will support a U.S. attack on Iraq. He may be surprised that a fictional
slightly left-leaning "President" would take such a pro-war stand against
Arabs, but then again, we might be surprised that a "left leaning" writer
like Hari would conclude his "left" critique of U.S. pro-war culture with:

"....the Iraqi people loathe Saddam Hussein and desperately want the US's
help in liberating them from this tyrant. Even when I support the US - as I
will in the coming months over Iraq - it doesn't mean that I am so naïve or
credulous that I think the US is perfect or even especially good."

Alan Spector