The Unasked Questions
by Saima Alvi
06 February 2003 08:51 UTC

The Unasked Questions

    by Harry Browne

The other evening Connie Chung on CNN interviewed
two Iraqi women living in the U.S. One hoped for
peace, the other wanted the U.S. military to unseat
Saddam Hussein -- thinking, I suppose, that whoever
takes his place will be a kind, benevolent
statesman (like all the other kind, benevolent
leaders of the world).

The woman who wanted war maintained that Hussein
would never disarm voluntarily. I waited in vain,
as I so often do, for the interviewer to ask the
obvious question:

   "Why should Saddam Hussein disarm, when no other
country is disarming?"

This prompted me to wonder how many times I've
watched an interview and waited for an obvious
question to be asked -- only to see the interviewer
ignore the obvious and continue with his scripted
questions.

I could think of quite a few examples. Here are
those concerning Iraq that come to mind now. . . .

    Liberating the Iraqis

Assertion: The Iraqi people will be far better off
after we unseat Saddam Hussein.

Question: On what do you base that expectation?
Have you noticed what's been going on in
Afghanistan since the U.S. government lost interest
and turned its attention to Iraq?

    Those Awful Weapons

Assertion: Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass
destruction. You can't allow such a dictator to
have such weapons.

Question: If that's the case, why didn't the
America threaten Leonid Brezhnev of the Soviet
Union the way it's threatening Saddam Hussein now?

    Dealing with Dictators

Assertion: You can't do business with dictators.

Question: Then why is George Bush enlisting the
support of dictators in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait,
Qatar, Pakistan, and other countries to make war
against Iraq?

    War Crimes

Assertion: When the war is over, Saddam Hussein
must be prosecuted for war crimes.

Question: Since the war hasn't even started yet,
how can he be accused of war crimes already?

    Revenge

Assertion: Saddam Hussein even tried to assassinate
President Bush's father. Our national honor demands
that we unseat this evil man.

Question: Are you aware of what happened when the
Austrian government tried to avenge the
assassination of Archduke Ferdinand by the Serbs in
1914? The world was plunged into World War I -- a
holocaust that caused the deaths of millions of
innocent people. How do you know that won't happen
in the current situation?

    The Evidence

Assertion: President Bush is right, but he hasn't
made his case to the American people. He needs to
make the evidence against Hussein public.

Question: Since President Bush has been claiming
for over a year to have evidence that he hasn't
revealed, why are you so sure there _is_ any
evidence?

    Trusting the Untrustworthy

Assertion: I trust my President and my government.

Question: After the Gulf War, it turned out that
all the reasons for going to war had been false --
no Iraqi troops massed on the Saudi Arabia border,
no babies ripped from incubators by Iraqi troops in
Kuwaiti hospitals. Most of the same people who were
in charge then are in the current administration.
Why should we trust them again?

    Chemical & Biological Weapons

Assertion: We know Saddam Hussein used chemical and
biological weapons during the war against Iran.

Question: Then why did the Reagan administration
support him so wholeheartedly in that war?

    Proving a Negative

Assertion: We've waited for two years for Saddam
Hussein to come clean. It's obvious he's not going
to. We should go into Iraq, remove him, and destroy
the weapons.

Question: But suppose he _doesn't_ have such
weapons. How can he prove this when whatever he
says is branded a lie by George Bush? Given what's
happened so far, we can assume that even if Hussein
said, "I give up; here are my weapons," George Bush
would claim Hussein is still lying, is still hiding
more weapons, and must be disarmed by force. So how
can Hussein possibly satisfy George Bush?

    Sacrifice

Assertion: We must all make some sacrifices for
security in this awful War against Terrorism.

Question: What sacrifices are _you_ making?

    Whom Should We Trust?

We know that politicians lie. They've lied to us
about Social Security, about the projected costs of
Medicare, about surpluses that never existed, about
the Gulf War, about enough matters to fill an
encyclopedia.

The fact that we're now talking about national
security shouldn't cause us to have more faith in
government and politicians. Quite the contrary:
_because_ it's our lives that are at stake, we
should be more skeptical then ever.

Unfortunately, the press -- who should be asking
the skeptical questions for us -- is little more
than an adjunct of the government, accepting
political pronouncements as gospel.

That leaves it up to us. We must be vigilant,
assertive in demanding answers -- and sometimes
noisy.

----------

The opinions expressed in this column are those of
the author, and do not _necessarily_ represent those
of the board, staff, and supporters of the American
Liberty Foundation. You can read more of Harry
Browne's articles at his website, www.HarryBrowne.org

  |*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|

L i b e r t y W i r e
is the official email list of the
American Liberty Foundation -- a non-profit
educational organization promoting the ideas of
individual liberty and personal responsibility.

VISIT the Foundation's web site at
http://www.AmericanLibertyFoundation.org

CONTRIBUTE to the Foundation at
http://www.AmericanLibertyFoundation.org/gateway.htm

UNSUBSCRIBE from this list by sending an email to
distribution-request@AmericanLibertyFoundation.org
with the word
   unsubscribe
on the first line of the body of the message.
Please leave the rest of the message blank.

SUBSCRIBE to this list by sending an email to
distribution-request@AmericanLibertyFoundation.org
with the word
   subscribe
on the first line of the body of the message.
Please leave the rest of the message blank.

CHANGE your subscription address by subscribing your
new address and unsubscribing your old address.

You are encouraged to forward this message to
friends and business associates, and permission is
hereby granted to reproduce any items herein as
long as attribution is provided for articles and
the subscription instructions above are included.

Do you Yahoo!?