Re: Contemporary Geopolitics, again
by Dr. Bruce R. McFarling
01 February 2003 00:33 UTC

At 10:52 AM 31/01/03 -0800,
John Gulick <john_gulick@hotmail.com> wrote:

>... I'm not sure a "successful" U.S. invasion and
>occupation of Iraq, as long as it has to be vetted by
>other big powers, can keep the dollar from tumbling
>significantly, too far for the likes of U.S. industrial
>capital. Yes, a substantially weakened dollar means
>more export revenues, but it also translates into less
>market capitalization via overseas investors. ...

Bear in mind (1) the size of the US current account
deficit, balanced by capital account inflows, and
(2) that trade transactions are less than 10% of
currency market transactions.

That is, currency markets are primarily *stock*
markets, with funds 'in the market' moving around
from one place to another, and only secondarily
a *flow* market, where the funds pass through
the market once and are gone.

Anyone who thinks that stock markets move gently
and easily down to a new fundamental position
just isn't paying any attention.  If the opinion
develops that the dollar is moving substantially
lower, then it will move fairly rapidly, and
almost certainly overshoot whatever target is
in mind.

Much of the 1990's was a kind of upside down
Marshall plan, with the rest of the world
financing their exports to the US via the
financial capital inflows they were happy
to send to the US ... because financial asset
prices were strong ... but that means that
there is a lot of exposure to the risk of a
dollar downturn.  And what keeps people
from panicking now?  They are not thinking
of the dollar being near the top of its
range, but near the middle.

Oddly, if you look at the Yen, the Pound OR
the Australian dollar, their exchange rates
from last January to this seem to be remarkably
stable, and against that yardstick the dollar
has gone down while the Euro has gone up.
If the dollar slides any further, and sentiment
among people holding mobile financial assets
in US dollars shifts against the dollar, the
move could be massive.

Of course, for protectionist sentiment, that
is not a massive worry, since an undervalued
currency acts as a barrier to imports.