Re: query
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 1/31/2003 6:22:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, kohlerg@3web.net
writes:

> The query is: Does Wallerstein have a concept like "ideology of (the) (a)
> world-system" (or of a phase of (the) (a) world-system)? (I mean the
> ideology used by the dominant powers/classes of the world-system in order to
> maintain  the world-system and/or their dominance within it.) Not being a
> Wallerstein expert, but having read various of his pieces, I am not sure
> whether he has and uses such a concept. Can someone please
> comment?  Gernot
> Kohler

He says that 'liberalism' is the dominant ideology of the system.  I've never
seen him define the term completely clearly, but I think the idea of guided,
steady change in the direction of 'progress' might be a useful way of thinking
about it.  He argues that radicals and conservatives have tended to get pulled
toward liberalism until 1968 began to undo the hold of this ideology (which has
only been around since the French revolution).  He also claims the division
between 'two cultures'--science and the humanities, or the seperation of
knowledge and the pursuit of the good--is a key aspect of the ideology of the
modern world system.

Steven Sherman