Re: Contemporary Geopolitics, again
by John Gulick

An added interpretation of the bind facing the U.S. imperium. Big and especially medium-sized (i.e. not so globally-outsourced) U.S. industrial capital has inched more and more toward complete allegiance to the Republican camp. They thought they had their man at Treasury in O'Neill (Alcoa), and now they probably do in Snow (USX). Per their interests, a soft, downward readjustment of the dollar, and European and Japanese reflation, is a welcome thing. Behind the scenes, I'm sure they've been plying the "let the inspectors do their job, grease the palms of our overseas customers, then wage war on Iraq with full fury"
line. But, as I suggested earlier, I'm not sure a "successful" U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq, as long as it has to be vetted by other
big powers, can keep the dollar from tumbling significantly, too far for the likes of U.S. industrial capital. Yes, a substantially weakened dollar means more export revenues, but it also translates into less market capitalization via overseas investors. In any event, there seem to be structural contradictions between those sectors of capital aligned around the foreign policy neo-cons, and those sectors of capital that Bush 43 has successfully wooed these last two years by means of emergency protectionist measures.

John Gulick