Re: wsn delayed access
by Alan Spector

The original critique as about delayed postings, not about stringent
moderation cutting down traffic. About the seemingly small number of
postings? Well, actually, this is an empirically verifiable
question........is moderation cutting out that many posts? I don't know, but
I do know that internet traffic on lists such as this has ebbs and flows
(where are the statisticians when we need them?) and especially drops way
down from December-February because of school and work schedules, final
exams, vacations, start-up at the beginning of a new term, etc. On a list
such as this, moderators receive:

some "good" posts,

some "bad" posts (mainly advertisements----you would be AMAZED at how many
advertisements for fake African inheritances, sex drugs, and mortgage
financing, as well as some extremely personal attacks,

and finally, there are some "marginal" posts, usually that combine some sort
of personal attack or other private correspondence with some relevant
points. Personally, I favor a very loose policy towards the "marginal"
posts, and I agree that it is better to err on the side of an occasional
inappropriate post rather than reject something that might have even the
slightest relevancy.

So now the question is whether the apparently diminished traffic on WSN is
because of overzealous moderation. As I said, it is an empirical question,
and I don't know the answer. But I am willing to bet that the moderation is
not that stringent, and that in fact, the apparent reduction in traffic is
because of factors common to other academic lists this time of

Alan Spector