Re: questions for discussion
by Bruce McFarling
03 October 2002 06:39 UTC

At 07:26 PM 10/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
>The only thing I would add to Boris' analysis is that, if I'm not
>mistaken, the European Union, like the state of Israel, plays an
>important role in  evangelical Christian apocalyptic thought.  If
>I recall correctly from the  movie "The Omega Code", when the king
>of Europe (the antichrist) brings peace to the Middle East, it is a
>clear sign that the apocalypse has begun. Keep in mind that Bush hangs
>out with people who think like this...

This is exactly right.  It comes from a reading of the Book
of Revelations that sees the "Whore of Babylon" as a United
Europe, and followers of that reading have been pointing to
any deepening of the European Union (and the ECC before that)
as a sign that the end of the world is at hand.

Of course, entering the apocalyptic prophecy worldview, it
wouldn't be saying much for the analogical skills of the
author. An Imperial US built on ricketing foundations of a
Republic and operating as a commercial nation as it has done
since the outset would make a much better fit to the "Whore
of Babylon" imagery.  And any Rastafarian can tell you that
the US is the core of "Babylon".

--
Dr. Bruce R. McFarling, PhD
Bus. Office 1.72 -- (02) 4348-4078