Re: questions for discussion
by Boris Stremlin
03 October 2002 19:07 UTC

I think since the late 1980's, some televangelists have been relating the
number of EU member states to Revelation chapter 13, which speaks of
a Beast having 10 heads and seven horns emerging from the sea.
According to Jack van Impe (the guy who analyzes the news from the
perspective of prophecy; I guess you could call him the world-systemist
of premillenialist Christians), the role of the EU is to impose peace at
the ned of a long war between Israel and its enemies (first the Muslim
lands of the Middle East alone, second the same in alliance with Russia,
and finally all of the above in alliance with China).  Led by the
Antichrist, the EU will then transform into a global empire for a period
of 42 months, prior to its destruction by Christ.  Naturally, people who
subscribe to these beliefs find the Europeans' talk of peace as serving
the needs of the devil.  There is an incredibly popular 12-part series of
novels (as well as a movie based on the first book) called Left Behind
which lays all this out in great detail.

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu