Re: WS and GF
by Bruce McFarling
03 October 2002 04:07 UTC

>[Mike:]  That's OK, but why should the K-wave "stretch"?  The ~50 year
>K-cycle I believe got its length from a "natural" constant, the
>"replication time" for the human species. ...

>Corporate capitalism developed in the very late 19th century and early
>20th century, yet the stretch really didn't show up until after WW II.
>I think the lengthening is best traced to governmental economic policies
>that have prevented the recurrence of panics and depression for 60 years--
>with the side effect of a price revolution.

The stretch would be permitted by the shift from individual to
corporate capitalism weakens the lenght between human generations
and economic activities.  If that is the cause of the stretch,
then the shift would have to follow on from the 1920's, when
the heirs of individual owners of major companies built in the
late 1800's / early 1900's were largely bought out and replaced
by professional management.

Why a stretch instead of a shrinkage?  I am not a K-wave
scholar, and I don't have the faintest idea why the K-cycle
would extend instead of shorten when released from the
close ties of familial inheritance of management positions.
Of course, if it is due to the government economic policies,
then it would be, as I said, due to the shift from individual
to corporate capitalism, since those policies are part of
that shift.

--
Dr. Bruce R. McFarling, PhD
Bus. Office 1.72 -- (02) 4348-4078