Fwd: [surgelocal] Arundhati Roy: Not Again
by Threehegemons
30 September 2002 04:53 UTC

Arundhati Roy's critique of the use of the term anti-American has some of the
same strengths and weaknesses of the arguments of those who frantically try to
distinguish between criticizing the Jewish people (which would presumably be
anti-semitism) and the state of Israel (presumably a government, and a
legitimate target of critique).  The strength of these arguments, first of all:
 any hostility towards a people, Jewish, American, whatever, homogenizes what
is inevitably a heterogenous group.  There are plenty of Jews who don't much
like the policies of Israel, and there are plenty of Americans who don't agree
with the policies of the US government (I'm both).  Furthermore, there are
forces that are highly influential in shaping the policies of each of these
governments which cannot by any stretch be conflated with the communities they
claim to represent (for example, fundamentalist Christians and the US
government support Israel, and the US capitalist class plays a crucial role in
shaping US government policy, although its deliberations are largely private
and hidden from the American people).

     However, it also seems to me that there is a danger in seperating too much
the actions of these governments from the communities they claim to represent.
Assuming a community is not equated with the views of all its members, it can
reasonably be said that for the most part the Jewish community does support
Israel, and that the diasporic community at this point is closer to the
policies of Likud than to any peaceful vision for the region.  In centers of
the community--temples, Jewish organizations, etc. one almost always finds
vigorous support for Israel, and efforts to rally the community behind the
governments policies.  It should be noted that these organizations are
voluntary, and non-Zionist Jews are free to set up their own--nobody holds a
copyright on the word 'Jewish'.  But our numbers are too small, our opinions
too marginal in the community to create institutions that could seriously
compete for leadership at this point.

Similarly, it can reasonably said that much of the US community supports Bush's
war drive, and that most of the American community supports general principles
of imperialism.  Its notable that nearly every major party presidential
candidate sooner than later declares 'this is the greatest country on earth.'
They do that to get votes, not to impress their capitalist patrons.  And while
'treat everyone equally, regardless of the color of their skin' is a widely
stated (not always practiced) principle, there is a virulent sense of cultural
superiority among the American community, combined with an almost total
ignorance about the wider world.

The malign ideologies which hold such sway among both the Jewish and American
communities feed the policies of these governments (again, they are not the
only force doing so) neither of which is immune to democratic pressure, in turn
these government's actions isolate these communities, feeding the paranoia and
sense of isolation that fuels the ideologies.  Its a vicious circle, but one
which needs to be understood if it is to be changed.

Steven Sherman

Students United for a Responsible Global Environment -
                 www.unc.edu/surge

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,799850,00.html

--
r u b y   s i n r e i c h -<>- ruby@lotusmedia.org