Re: Frank as a world-systemist?
by Bruce McFarling

At 14:50 17/03/02 -0500, Elson Boles wrote:
>The oddity in the Frank-Wallerstein debate is that Frank and Gills
>have no reason to use the unhyphenated "world system" term, except
>to distinguish their world-system as being bigger in TimeSpace than
>Wallerstein's.

Is there a sense in which Franks "world system" is a shorthand for
"that world-system which grew to cover the world" ... that is,
"the world world-system"?

If a major part of the argument is whether the Central World-System
included Europe as periphery and it grew to dominate the Central
WS for a hundred fifty years, give or take, or whether the Central
World-System was in contact with but did NOT include Europe,
so that it is a story of one WS being supplanted by another ...
then I can see a certain amount of sense in not just using
the term Central WS, since the what that terms refers to is a
main point in the dispute.

On systemicity, it would seem to me that if the development of
import competing textiles in Europe was in fact sufficient
to reverse the India's bullion surplus to the west, and place
it in an untenable financial position with bullion deficits
to both the east and west, then the conquest of Indian by
the BEIC with an Indian army in effect financed by New World
silver following on that financial reverse would seem to
indicate a bit of mutual causality.  Of course, one could
envision someone arguing an intermediate position that the
European WS was a distinct WS pre 1500, on lack of mutual
causation grounds, that it developed to the point of merging
into the Central WS over 1500-1800, and toward the end of
that period the process of shift in dominance in the Central
WS took place.

It would seem that the place to look for mutual causality
pre-1500 would be India.

Of course, the point from General Systems Theory should
be made that the ability to identify systems at higher
and higher levels all the way up to the "universe" is
normal in systems analysis, and certainly not the basis
for a critique on its own.  Most General Systems analysis
occurs at the level of a system with both supersystems
and subsystems of interest.  Obviously given a strong
definition of system for world-system, and one that is
NOT hierarchical, one would expect world-systems to
be part of higher order systems, and to contain
lower-order systems.  One would expect some sort
of major impact if what was formerly a system of
world-systems developed into a world-system in its own
right, with the "middle position" envisioned above
perhaps being a concrete example of exactly that sort
of emergent features of the "World System" ... that
is, "One World System of World-Systems, then
World World-System".

Virtually,

Bruce McFarling, New Lambton, NSW
ecbm@cc.newcastle.edu.au