Re: formal definition of world-system, talking points
by Mark Douglas Whitaker

         In posing it to complete novices, I always describe WST as:

1. a division of labor based on 'states' across the world instead of within
particular states. It's a theoretical and empirical critique of most
sociological theroy, as most of it is entirely 'internal' to states as the
unit of analysis. WST argues that to analyse one state only as a unit of
analysis is entirely misspecifying the issue. It's cross-state frameworks
of a division of labor that comes about.  Positionally, WST poses that
states, as a consequence do fall into 'core' 'semi-periphery' and
'periphery' areas in relational matrices of power. All those other features
mentioned in the other defintions already mentioned in those quotes passed
along. States cycle through these core, semi-periphery, and peripherial
relations.

2. the hyphen debate, where the modernist premise of the novelty of the
world-system, imported from Marx/Lenin by Wallerstein, is critiqued by
Frank and others for much longer periods of history since the same
relations are seen then as well.

3. WST as an explanatory framework for underdevelopment issues, as a
challenge to modernist developmental theories of unilinear paths
(legitimating European/American ideas of what development means) for all
societies.

4. military/financial critiques of WST, from Fergeson, The Cash Nexus:
Money and Power in the Modern World, 1700-2000 (2001) some summaries at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465023258/qid%3D1012119584/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F11%5F1/103-1476340-5062253
I like this one because it draws out into sharp relief by comparison the
economic reductionism of most modernist theories--Smith or Marx inspired
ones. You could mention Gilpin's work on 'modern mercantism' here as well.

Regards,

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison