Re: formal definition of world-system
by Elson Boles

All of that is straight out of Wallerstein, and has long been open to
question, even by Chase-Dunn and Hall.

The issue of whether a network of trade/production should be defined as
long-distance or luxury or part of an integrated axial division of labor
hinges on whether those ties have strong explanatory power for developments
among the people who are connected in the network.  That has to be
demonstrated empirically.

There are two other issues: one, other criteria that significantly connects
people, and two, how to describe any of these ties without reifying them.
Example: even an axial division of labor is not an "economic" tie, but
cultural, political, gendered, sexualized, etc.  Any criteria is complex and
thus not singular.  To describe it as "multi-dimensional" merely continues
to reify, as if any of the "dimensions" (political, economic, cultural,
etc.) are discrete phenomena, the conceptual "combination" of which
clarifies what is happening.  But ultimately what counts is showing how
developments are explained by interactions and relations among people --
i.e. by significant mutual causality.