Re: Defining the Islamic State
by Danny Dayus

I think that Alan may have earlier jumped to conclusions about Charles'
wider political views, but Charles does repeat something that I wonder
about.  This is that "Islam had better join the human race in the 21st
Century".

Does he mean that, in the 21st century, Islam should join the human
race?  If not, does he mean that Islam is behind the times, and needs to
progressively adapt to the modern (civilised?) world?

Either way, Charles would be mistaken.  In the first case, Islam is a
very human religion, and very real humans practice it, as is testified
by the human blood they bleed when pricked.  In the second case, Islam
is not uncilivised, and is far from regressive, except in the case of it
being a philosophy that places ultimate origin upon the supernatural -
something it shares with all other religions.  On the contrary, Islam is
marked from Christianity's reliance upon blind faith by its insistance
that muslims use rationality to justify their belief.  This was shown to
be the case historically; the emergence of european civilisation was
partly dependent upon the civilising influence of mediaeval Islamic
social and scientific achievenments, without which people may still be
reading Aristotle and Augustine, and not Einstein or Marx.  That it has
not been responsible for much of what we call progress today, may be
more to do with its inclination against a dependence on technology than
anything else - a characteristic that it shares with every civilisation
on the planet bar the one that Charles seems to be suggesting is the
more advanced.  Advanced, maybe, but in what direction.........?

In summary, instead of simply assuming that the ideologues in the
streets of Gaza and Lahore represent everything about Islam, we might
all benefit from thinking about what is actually written in the Qoran,
which can be viewed in English at http://islamicity.com/mosque/SURAI.HTM

Danny Dayus