Re: IMPORTANT-VIRUS ON THIS LIST??
by George Snedeker
17 December 2001 02:09 UTC

I have also gotten a couple of virus messages.
----- Original Message -----
From: David Smith <dasmith@orion.oac.uci.edu>
To: Alan Spector <spectors@netnitco.net>
Cc: <br00361@binghamton.edu>; WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>;
PROGRESSIVE SOCIOLOGISTS NETWORK <psn@csf.colorado.edu>; <ahs-talk@ncsu.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: IMPORTANT-VIRUS ON THIS LIST??

> Dear Alan & WSN list:
>
> This virus problem may be related to the WSN list.  But I haven't gotten a
> message that resembeles the one that either you or Sabri Oncu described.
> I'm NOT complaining -- but it may NOT be hitting everyone on the list.
>
> dave smith
> uc-irvine
>
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Alan Spector wrote:
>
> > I just (three minutes ago) received another suspicious e-mail, with no
content in the e-mail, and a vague title  "Re:Egyptian Journalist opinion".
The attachment ended in .scr or something like that, which means that it was
not a text file, but rather some kind of program.   All these
characteristics fit the pattern of one of those viruses which get into
someone's computer without their knowing and then immediately sending it out
to everyone in that person's address book.  I suspect that it is probably
circulating through either wsn, or psn, or possibly, but not likely ahs
(although if I had opened it, it probably would be circulating through all
three.)

> > I'm almost positive that I deleted it without it going anywhere else,
but if any of you get an e-mail like that, DON'T OPEN IT.  It might be
tempting, like touching wet paint, but don't do it. Delete it immediately,
and then delete it again from your "discard" or "trash" folder.

> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Alan Spector
> >
> > PS--you need not flood these lists with comments about this unless your
experience backs up this warning. Otherwise, no need to flood these lists
with lots of comments about viruses, etc.