Middle East Marshall Plan
by g kohler
11 November 2001 16:35 UTC

Middle East Marshall Plan
I have not heard of a Middle East Marshall Plan, but it would be a good idea. The U.S. promised Pakistan 1 billion dollars in aid just recently. That could be a beginning. Considering how important petroleum is for their well-being, the Western White Rich countries should do more than sending soldiers and bombs to Afghanistan. Political stability in the Middle East is in the petroleum-inspired self-interest of the Western White Rich countries. These countries should do for political stability in the Middle East what the U.S.  did in Europe after WWII - invest Marshall Plan economic aid for reconstruction and development, administered by a regional body. That would have (1) a positive political impact, (2)  would be good for fighting terrorism, especially if the Palestinian authority were included as a member with equal rights; (3) furthermore, that would be good for fighting global recession, based on global-Keynesian economic reasoning. Quoting the old sage: the entire world has changed, except our way of thinking.

Is this proposal compatible with world-system theory? Well, it would be consistent with the Kondratieff A-phase which is expected after a Kondratieff B-phase, if I understand that correctly.

Gert