Re: Middle East Marshall Plan
by Louis Proyect
11 November 2001 17:08 UTC

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:36:53 -0500, g kohler wrote:
>Is this proposal compatible with world-system
>theory? Well, it would be consistent with the
>Kondratieff A-phase which is  expected after a
>Kondratieff B-phase, if I understand that
>correctly.

This would necessitate a world-system theory that was stripped of the
Marxist concept of crisis. It would also be stripped of the notion of
ecological limits. Any way you slice it, the current crisis involves
a nonrenewable resource at its heart, namely petroleum. Whatever the
timetable for its eventual disappearance, there is no question that
we are reaching that point in the not too distant future--that is, if
you think our generation has responsibility for the welfare of the
next.

In a highly distorted form, the Islamic terrorists are operating on
the basis of opposition to global inequality. They understand that
Saudi Arabia will be worthless if it lacks oil. Meanwhile, the
profits of oil are invested in western instruments while the
investors live lavish life-styles.

While one should not lapse into economic determinism, there is no
question that Afghanistan is critical because of its proximity to oil
sources and its ultimate possible use as a transit point to markets.
>From that standpoint, destroying the Taliban and al-Queda would be
killing two birds with one stone.

Meanwhile, NYC has been balmy all through November. I have not had to
turn on my heat once. They say it will go up to 60 later in the week.
With warm temperatures like this, it increases the likelihood of West
Nile Virus bearing mosquitoes to survive through the winter. This
leads to spraying carcinogenic insecticides which will mix happily
with the toxic fumes generated by the destruction of the WTC.

I wouldn't think in terms of Marshall Plans and long waves right now.
I'd think in terms of Armageddon.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 11/11/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org