Capitalism and gender inequality
by Shahijm2
29 October 2001 23:18 UTC

I can't say that I've heard anything about Westerners willing to go to war to defend women's rights to appear in pornographic films, but there was the famous case where Larry Flynt, publisher of Hustler magazine, argued before the Supreme Court for his right to publish pornographic magazines and won.

As for women's footwear -- most of it isn't even designed to fit a real woman's foot.  It isn't a question of "choosing" to wear shoes that distort your feet -- unless you can afford special orthopedic footwear, or else wear men's shoes, which fit much better.

It's true that women suffer under oppressive laws and customs in many parts of the world that we should be aware of.  What disturbs me is when people act like oppression of women doesn't happen in America.  The situation here might be better in many respects, but it is hardly exemplary.

In the state where I come from, when a child is born out of wedlock, it is required BY LAW to put "father unknown" on the birth certificate.  How's that, Professor Jeay, for a good way to protect men who just want to sow their wild oats without having to face consequences for it later (i.e., embarrassing phone calls from illegitimate children).

Woody Allen was discovered to be having a sexual relationship with the very under-age adopted daughter of his wife, but instead of going to jail (sex with minors IS against the law, by the way) he continues to make popular movies with star-studded casts, which just goes to show that sexual exploitation of children is forgiveable so long as you can demonstrate your ability to call up famous people on the phone.

Jane Shahi