Re: Islamic Militancy: It is their problem
by Threehegemons
29 October 2001 23:20 UTC

In a message dated 10/29/01 12:07:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
KSamman@aol.com writes:

<< The criticism that we need to consider what's happening "within" a given
region, culture, gender, class, ... is not unlike the response giving by some
of my students. Hussain's comment that "it is entirely facile to try to
locate the roots of contemporary Islamic inspired militancy exclusively in
terms of capitalism, modernity, peripheralization, etc" is very similar to
the response I would get, lets say, from a social scientist like Oscar Lewis
who would say that "you leftist blame the larger society for everything when
obviously the problem stems from the fact that this Wal Mart worker has
learned from his family negative traits that led him to his poor, miserable
life."  The two are not unlike each other.  For Hussain, some Muslims have
learned that Islam means holy war from past historical cultures of their own
making and now have carried this cultural baggage into the modern era.  For
Lewis, the Wal Mart employee has learned negative qualities like "immediate
gratification" in his childhood and is now i
 n his adult life reproducing his parents bad qualities. >>

I don't think this is being fair to Hussain.  He was not trying to explain
why the Middle East has been peripheralized--he was trying to explain the
content of its response, 'resistance' etc to that peripheralization.  Surely
it's difficult to do so for any part of  the world without considering what
cultural elements are floating around (whether produced before or after the
incorporation into the modern world system) to 'bricolage' with.  Otherwise,
how does world systems analysis explain the patent variety of responses in
the periphery/semi-periphery (or the core, for that matter)?  If you want to
claim that Islamic militancy, the Zapatistas, civil wars in Africa are all
pretty much the same thing, fine, but some of us would like to understand the
reasons why they diverge the way they do.  One could argue that the world
system treats different parts of the periphery differently--for example, the
fact of Middle East oil may be of some relevance to explaining Islamic
militancy, by endowing some conservative members of a despised group (on the
global level) with deep pockets--but I doubt that will really get us too far.
 Implied in Samman's analysis is that when 'the modern world system' arrives,
previous local dynamics become irrelevant.  At least it is not explained how
they are relevant, since efforts to bring them up are labeled 'blaming the
victim'.  I think there is scholarship from practically every part of the
world now that demonstrates the untenability of this position.

It all comes back to the question of agency--in other words, whose actions
you are going to see as relevant to explaining why the world looks like it
does.  Whether one is talking about sexist structures, minimum wage workers,
or the plight of a region of the world, at some point one cannot only look at
the actions of the powerful, but one also has to look at how the actions of
the oppressed shape the situation.  Things quickly get all tangled up, since
in many ways the oppressed seem to embrace the structures said to be
oppressing them,  take actions that seem to have nothing much to do with
changing their situation, and at many times the oppressors appear to embrace
the projects of the oppressed, but nobody promised a simple, clear world.

Steven Sherman
Guilford College