Re: Casey struck out again
by Richard N Hutchinson
27 October 2001 17:50 UTC

Alan-

The point, it seems to me, is that we need to get our facts straight.  If
the left starts promoting an "oil conspiracy" view that is inaccurate, it
undermines the credibility of anything else we say.

I don't think most people have a problem understanding the larger issue
you raise, for instance in the case of the 91 (and continuing) war on
Iraq, it's not that the U.S. is after Iraq's oil, but rather wants to
guarantee control over Saudi and Kuwaiti oil.  But of course, many people
can see that and still think it's totally justified!

I think the Unocal pipeline, and similar notions, appeal because it's
clearly a private corporation that would profit, and may or may not
coincide with what someone might call "the national interest."  So it's
partly an opportunistic type of argument, and people on the left shouldn't
be making such arguments if they're not grounded in solid fact.  The
Guardian writer (I forget his name) is more than fair game for Casey.

RH