Re: oil
by Louis Proyect
26 October 2001 18:11 UTC

Leo Casey:
>During 1999 NATO intervention in Kosova, opponents of that
>effort to stop the ethnic cleansing of Albanian Kosovars and to being to a
>halt all of the genocidal campaigns of the Milosevic regime made the
>argument then that the real motivation was oil.

This is not so. The "fundamentalist left" (Marxists, in other words)
regarded the war against Yugoslavia as defending imperialist interests in
general. Oil was only part of the equation.

>oil, the intervention in Kosova was a long overdue action to put a halt to
>genocidal ethnic cleansing in the nations of the former Yugoslavia,

When NATO ignores ethnic cleansing of Roma in Kosovo, Kurds in Turkey,
etc.,  one must conclude that this was just an excuse to intervene in Kosovo.

> and
>military action in Afghanistan is an effort to put to an end the serial mass
>murders conducted by Al Qaeda, with Taliban support.

The Taliban and Al Qaeda are pikers when it comes to comparison with the
USA. If the number of American civilians had died on 9/11 were proportional
to those who have died in Iraq, we'd be mourning 7.5 million dead right now.

Louis Proyect