Re: oil
by Talmadge Wright
26 October 2001 16:57 UTC

Indeed, if you wanted to make the case for oil, you could make it on the
grounds that to create "stability" in the region you need to remove the
Taliban from power. Of course, this would be good for establishing an oil
link through Afghanistan, but, it seems to me that one of the real
problems is the fear that the Taliban will destablize Pakistan, and thus
gain access to nuclear weapons. Not to mention constituting a direct
threat to the central Asian republics. This is a fear, by the way that the
Iranians also share, since they are arch enemies of the Taliban. Few of us
remember the massacres of Hazaras that were committed by Taliban forces in
the mid-1990s, but are well remembered by the Iranians.

* Talmadge Wright                               (773) 508-3451 *
* Dept. of Sociology/Anthropology           FAX:(773) 508-7099 *
* Loyola University Chicago                                    *
* 6525 N. Sheridan Rd.                                         *
* Chicago, Illinois 60626                                      *