Drug War, Racism, and Due Process
by Elson Boles
16 October 2001 17:22 UTC

The issue raised by Anne Marie Jeay concerning the "drug war" is a good one.
I sent to the list on 9-13-01 a link to an article by a former LA Times
columnist explaining that the Bush Administration gave some $47 million to
the government, allegedly for joining the war on drugs, as announced last
Thursday and reported in the LA Times.  (For a copy of the article, go to:
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n922/a09.html).  I've since learned that
the Taliban did dramatically crack down on heroin production over the past
several years.

But the other issue on my mind is due-process and racism.  Bush said "Dead
or Alive," meaning that bin Laden may be denied due process in a court of
law, not to mention that the Taliban's guilt has also been presumed outside
a court of law.  And even if the Taliban was found guilty, the US is
breaking international law also by overthrowing a foreign government.  In
contrast, Timothy McVeigh got due process (or at least it appears that way),
as did Milosevic, among others.  And unlike these other cases, the Taliban
is willing to negotiate bin Laden's handover.  The US government doesn't
believe in due process, and of course, we know that when it comes to foreign
countries, and radical groups opposed to oppression in the US, such as the
Black Panthers or the Communists, it never has.