Exchange on Churchill/Sudan
by Louis Proyect
16 October 2001 00:40 UTC

Gary:
>I lay down to have a rest and for some reason
>not known to me I dreamed of  Winston
>Churchill's funeral with the cranes dipping as
>the coffin passed up  the Thames.  I got up and
>turned on the list and there was your piece on
>the Mahdi by Winston Churchill no less.

Yeah, I came home tonight with my knapsack loaded with books on the
Mahdi revolt, including Churchill's. I play to put together a very
ambitious culture/politics review revolving around the movie
"Khartoum" that starred Charlton Heston as Colonel "China" Gordon and
Sir Laurence Olivier as the Mahdi.

The British got their asses kicked by the Mahdists, who had put
together an army consisting of northern Sudanese Dervishes and
eastern Sudanese "Fuzzy-Wuzzy's", who were the subject of one of
Kipling's best known poems.

There are some very interesting questions raised by this earlier
encounter between "modernity" and "barbarism". For example, Gordon
got the nickname "China" because he had put down the Taiping
rebellion, another atavistic outburst to use Andy Austin's felicitous
term. He was also a well-known opponent of slavery and turned the war
against the Mahdists into a moral crusade against slavery, in the
same manner that the British elite aided the campaign against King
Leopold in neighboring Congo. Basically, the British made war on Arab
and North African slave-traders because this facilitated their own
imperial goals. Free trade and colonialism went hand in hand.
Imperial Great Britain's two main foreign policy goals in the region,
according to one of the scholars I will be relying on, was to
eliminate slavery and build the Suez Canal.

Despite the crusade against slavery, the Sudanese people rose up as a
whole. Although I am not prepared to explain the complexity of this
until after I have done some reading, it appears related to the
nature of African precapitalist slavery, which was less exploitative
than chattel slavery. For example, one of the Mahdists originally
tried to raise a "slave army", according to one of the scholars. Stop
and think about that for a second. What kind of slave would you put a
rifle into the hands of? The same kind of institution existed in
Ethiopia, by the way. An aristocrat would go out hunting and his
slave would carry his rifle for him.

Closely related to this is the question of British anti-slavery
itself, which is the object of scrutiny in Jack Gratus's "The Great
White Lie", a MR book. Gratus notes that:

"Writing from the Berlin Conference in 1885 when West Africa was
being divided up between the European Powers, the British Ambassador
told the Foreign Secretary that England, 'by her successful efforts
to stop the export of slaves beyond the seas, has been the chief
benefactress of the natives', and accordingly with Portugal, the
other Power which had old settlements in Africa, she should
'endeavour to effect an arrangement in the interests of all.'"

That arrangement was called imperialism.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 10/15/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org