Re: CNN responds to false footage charge
by Boris Stremlin
20 September 2001 03:32 UTC

> Boris--Does Kagarlitsky seriously believe that American right
> wingers--generally quite parochial and often racist--could 'easily' recruit
> 19 Arabs or Arab Americans willing to commit suicide for their ruse?  I have
> seen no evidence that Bin Laden is behind this, nor that Iraq is involved
> (this too is a rising theme in the US media and government statements).  But
> I don't think one should try to contort what we do know to fit what might
> sound more convenient for some political perspectives.

I agree.  I think the "right wing" conspiracy theory is far-fetched
(though it seems like an unnecessary assumption to make K's point), but I
think we had better have more detailed proof that we have before we go
issuing ultimatums.  Mubarak and others have said as much, but they are
already being derided by pundits like Fouad Ajami, who inisist they are
too frightened by the Islamists (hence the US should proceed unilaterally,
not in consultation with allies).

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu