Re: CNN responds to false footage charge
by Threehegemons
20 September 2001 00:46 UTC

In a message dated 9/19/01 5:09:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Jay@Fenello.com
writes:

<< At the BBC here, we have these footages on videotapes recorded in 1991

So why hasn't the BBC posted anything about this on their website?  I'm
beginning to think the people circulating these stories (in this case, not
even backed up by a faked BBC e-mail address) are more interested in keeping
this story alive than the mass media...

I am not convinced by claims that this bombing is some sort of gift to Israel
(which, incidentally, reports that 110 of its citizens are missing at the WTC
(reported on NPR)).  Ariel Sharon thinks so, but he is an idiot.  On
September 10, Bush was still acting (against the advice of his father) as if
Israel was the only friend the US needed in the Middle East.  Today, they are
going on and on about how important it is to have Arab allies on board for
this fight.  I suspect there are people in the US government  who are aware
that this war will be unpopular with many Arabs.  The most logical thing to
do is to toss them some concession, in this case perhaps some progress on the
Palestinian/Israeli situation.  It is also worth noting that Bush has
pointedly denounced attacks on Arab Americans (I suspect this follows the
same logic, as well as his hopes to get their votes in 2004).  History is
loaded with cases where states, seeking to strengthen themselves internally,
have made important concessions to subaltern classes.  This is what I think
may happen in this case as well, both on a local and a global scale.
Concessions may also be made to China and Russia, although progressives may
not be particularly enthusiastic about those (namely, that the US will back
off from what China and Russia consider internal problems--Chechnya, Tibet,
etc).  Meanwhile, Japan is offerring to join the forces gathering
militarilly, which certainly sounds like the end of some sort of era...

Boris--Does Kagarlitsky seriously believe that American right
wingers--generally quite parochial and often racist--could 'easily' recruit
19 Arabs or Arab Americans willing to commit suicide for their ruse?  I have
seen no evidence that Bin Laden is behind this, nor that Iraq is involved
(this too is a rising theme in the US media and government statements).  But
I don't think one should try to contort what we do know to fit what might
sound more convenient for some political perspectives.

Steven Sherman