Re: Carl Nordlund and AG Frank right
by Luke Rondinaro
20 September 2001 02:09 UTC

I'm inclined to agree with Clint Ballinger on his post ... but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.  My question to the others ... why devote so much time and so many postings to the ideological dimension of this issue?  I know (and we all know) current events are important and that what just happened last Tuesday was monumental and earth shaking.  We probably all know or have friends/relatives who knew someone caught in the midst of the tragegy.  It's the sort of event that truly hits home, and will probably have a large historical impact.  (What that impact will be I cannot honestly tell you; can any of us say for a certainty that we know? ...)

In any case to get back to my original question ... Why from a world systems perspective, is it so important to frame this issue in ideological terms?  What has this to do specifically with the methodological questions of WST, its basic theory, or content?  (Or has a "big event" merely pre-empted the usual mission and discussions of WSN?)  I don't want to sound facetious or sardonic.  This is an honest question.

Did "analysis" merely get pre-empted by ideology and politics (at least for the time being) -> or, from your own perspectives on this issue and other matters in history and current events, does ideology (in fact) figure prominently in the framing of world systems analysis?  Think about this for a moment.  I have a fairly good idea where you all would stand on Weber's fact/value dichotomy.  You'd probably all place yourselves in the "is" camp rather than the "ought" camp.  Yet, why on this issue & other historical issues, do you seem to place an emphasis on ideology which is truly a subset of "ought."

If I'm missing something here in your analysis, then tell me.  I really do want to understand where you're coming from on these issues.  I look forward to reading your responses.

Luke Rondinaro

I just want to express my support for what Carl
Nordlund and AG Frank wrote.
Clint Ballinger
--- Andre Gunder Frank wrote:
> i've been thinking [not for the fist time] of doing
> the same, since i
> tire of having routinely to press 'd' virtually
> sight unseen. but if I
> were to see more, it would be even worse. I'm not
> for censorship, but I
> have proposed on previous similar occasions that the
> parties concerned
> set up their own 'system' - as my family and I have
> for our private
> concerns and discussions.
> respectfully submitted
> gunder frank
>
> p.s. maybe Arno Tausch should set up a list-serve to
> which those of can
> subscribe who want his -virtually the only -
> valuable inputs on wsn,
> in which case those who are taking it over for their
> own purposes can
> keep it.
> agf
>
> On
> Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Carl Nordlund wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:59:56 +0200
> > From: Carl Nordlund
> > To: Seyed Javad ,
> wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> > Subject: Re: Bush caused US devastation
> >
> > Ok, I am getting out of this list. My stomach
> can't stand any more ideologic, non-scientific and
> completely pre-analytical fundamentalism where all
> happenings are stuffed into an Archive X-style
> conspiracy framework.
> >
> > If there still are anyone out there working with
> world system analysis and methodological questions
> regarding this, I am more than happy to initiate
> (and also host) such a mailing list.
> >
> > Carl
> > - - -
> > MA, PhD student
> > Human Ecology Division, Lund University
> > www.humecol.lu.se

Donate cash, emergency relief information in Yahoo! News.