China sets terms for backing U.S. war on terror
by Syed Khurram Hussain
18 September 2001 21:16 UTC

South China Morning Post
China sets terms for backing U.S. war on terror

Tuesday September 18th, 2001

China demanded U.S. support for its own struggle against "terrorism and
separatism" -- shorthand for groups that include Taiwan independence
advocates and the Tibetan Dalai Lama -- in return for backing a U.S.-led
war on terrorism.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhu Bangzao also said China was prepared to
discuss any proposals to combat international terrorism at the United
Nations Security Council, where it wields a veto as one of five permanent
members.

But he insisted any military action in retaliation for last week's attacks
on the United States would have to be based on "concrete evidence", should
not hurt innocent people and should be conducted within international law.

"The United States has asked China to provide assistance in the fight
against terrorism," Zhu said.

"China, by the same token, has reasons to ask the United States to give its
support and understanding in the fight against terrorism and separatists,"
he said.

"We should not have double standards."

China is battling what it calls "terrorists" waging a violent campaign
against Chinese rule in the far western Muslim region of Xinjiang.

It reviles the Dalai Lama, who is struggling for greater autonomy for his
Himalayan homeland, as a "splittist". State media have accused him of
plotting bombings and assassinations in Tibet.

On self-governing Taiwan, Beijing reserves its fiercest wrath for former
President Lee Teng-hui, whom it accuses of plotting to split the island
from China.

It is also intensely suspicious of current Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian
for his past open advocacy of independence.

Asked whether China was imposing specific conditions for its support for
the United States, such as an end to U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, Zhu said:

"The fight against terrorism is a different issue. We are not making
bargains here."

But he went on to say the United States and China had "common interests" in
combatting Taiwan independence activists he said presented the main threat
to stability across the Taiwan Strait.

"We should stem the development of Taiwan independence forces," Zhu said.

Zhu reiterated China's support for the war on terrorism.

"We should crack down on all international terrorism," he said.

But he qualified his statement by making clear China expected the United
Nations to be consulted on any action.

"China is willing to discuss in the United Nations Security Council any
proposals against terrorism," he said.

"An attack against terrorism should be based on concrete evidence and have
clear orientation without hurting innocent people," Zhu said.

"We believe all activities should go along with international law,
especially the U.N. charter."