Re: Breaking News
by Threehegemons
18 September 2001 19:58 UTC

I was searching around the New York Times and could find no reference to
Israeli victims.  However,  I could find no clear chart indicating what
countries say how many are missing (in general, there has been little well
organized information about the victims out yet).  Having followed this story
since an hour or so after the attacks hit, I don't recall ever hearing about
4,000 missing Israelis.  From the Jerusalem Post, I found nothing about
Israeli victims, however,  I found this.

Mossad warned CIA of attacks - report
By Douglas Davis

LONDON (September 17) - Mossad officials traveled to Washington last month to
warn the CIA and the FBI that a cell of up to 200 terrorists was planning a
major operation, according to a report in the Sunday Telegraph here
yesterday.

The paper said the Israeli officials specifically warned their counterparts
in Washington that "large-scale terrorist attacks on highly visible targets
on the American mainland were imminent." They offered no specific information
about targets, but they did link the plot to Afghanistan-based terrorist
Osama bin Laden, and they told the Americans there were "strong grounds" for
suspecting Iraqi involvement.

A US administration official told the paper that it was "quite credible" that
the CIA did not heed the Mossad warning: "It has a history of being
over-cautious about Israeli information." But the official noted that "if
this is true, then the refusal to take it seriously will mean heads will
roll."