Re: Bush caused US devastation
by Elson Boles
13 September 2001 18:32 UTC

> On the other hand, what else is there to do but attempt to continue to
> challenge the practices, discourses, structures, etc that made
> what happened
> practically inevitable?
>
> Steven Sherman

Absolutely.  Peaceful challenges to the capitalist world-system must now be
redoubled.

Here are some useful articles for students to consider that are counter the
propaganda they're now getting in the mainstream media.

elson

BUSH, THE CIA AND THE ROOTS OF TERRORISM
Michael Moore, AlterNet
Let's mourn and grieve, but let's also examine our own
contribution to our unsafe world -- be it lax airport security
or the CIA training the terrorists who attack us.
http://www.alternet.org

UNDERSTANDING OSAMA BIN LADEN
William O. Beeman, Pacific News Service
The media is pointing fingers at Osama bin Laden, but the
causes of his anger are rarely discussed. Here is why he and
his followers hate the U.S. so violently.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11487

** REPORT OF THE WEEK: U.S. Policy Toward Political Islam
Stephen Zunes, Foreign Policy in Focus
Washington has used the threat of Islamic fundamentalism as a
justification for keeping a high military, economic and political
profile in the Middle East. Yet it has often supported Muslim
hardliners when they were perceived to enhance U.S. interests.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11479

BUSH'S DEAL WITH THE TALIBAN
Robert Scheer, LA Times
The Bush administration became the main sponsor of the Taliban
when it rewarded the regime with $43 million. All the Taliban had
to do was declare that opium growing is against the will of God.
* In DrugReporter: http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=17

"AMERICA UNDER ATTACK": GUILTY OR NOT, HERE WE COME
Danny Schechter, MediaChannel.org
Most Americans spent September 11 glued to their television
sets, trying to understand. But amid the grim footage and
"expert" interviews, many of the most pressing questions were
never addressed.
* In MediaCulture: http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=19

A MESSAGE FROM THE GLOBAL SOUTH
Saskia Sassen, Guardian of London
We may think that the debt and growing poverty in the south
have nothing to do with the violence in New York and Washington.
But they do.
* In Globalization: http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=21

HOW DURBAN SUCCEEDED
Dani McClain, AlterNet
Despite pessimistic coverage of the World Conference Against
Racism, something very meaningful took place. Namely, the
coming together of human rights activists from all over the world.
* In Human Rights: http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=22

THE PERVERSE SUBSIDIES OF FOSSIL FUELS
Norman Myers and Jennifer Kent, TomPaine
Our indirect subsidies of fossil fuels -- about $200 billion a
year -- costs us dearly in many ways, including degraded health,
a polluted environment, and lost agricultural yield.
* In EnviroHealth: http://www.alternet.org/?IssueAreaID=22

Elson Boles, Ph.D.
Dept. of Sociology
Saginaw Valley State University