Re: CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating Palistinians to
by Alan Spector
13 September 2001 18:30 UTC

While I very much would like to get a better source for the Faked Tapes
story, we are nevertheless not completely without counter-arguments.

There are millions of Palestinians. It is not clear that those celebrating
were any kind of majority. I do remember how the U.S. media fabricated
stories about how anti-war protestors abused Vietnam Veterans.

It may well be the case that many of the people protesting were young
children, and many of the others may not have fully understood the loss of
human life. They may just have heard that "THE US HAS BEEN STRUCK" or that a
major building was destroyed. Keep in mind that many of them may have had
relatives killed in Middle Eastern violence. None of this justifies joy at
the terrible carnage in New York but we have to struggle to help people
understand that whatever is going on

Furthermore, Americans have to look into themselves before they get too
self-righteous. How many Americans cheered during the bombing of Iran or
Yugoslavia or Panama City. Not spontaneous cheering in the streets, but
other kinds of cheerleading. I'm old enought to remember Billy Graham
blessing the U.S. pilots before they went to Vietnam to kill millions from
the sky.

NONE OF THIS CAN JUSTIFY ANYONE HAVING JOY AT THE DEATHS OF THOUSANDS IN THE
WORLD TRADE CENTER. But if empathy===learning to put oneself in the shoes of
others===mandates that we feel sympathy and solidarity for the victims in
New York, it also mandates that we try to understand that the "JOY" being
expressed might be terribly wrong, but it is something that has happened in
the US as well.

At a public forum on my campus on Wednesday, I made the point that while the
bombing was a terrible crime against the working class, it should be seen in
the context of massive wars, violence, and death going on as a consequence
of U.S. and other imperialisms. I discussed the hundreds of thousands killed
by U.S. imperialism in El Salvador, Guatemala, and throughout Latin America
as well as many other cases, with an emphasis on the Indonesian massacre of
1966 -- which killed perhaps 25 or 50 times as many people as the NY
bombings. Actually those comments received a lot of support, applause, on my
generally non-political campus, which was heartening.

One of the speakers, a former State Department official, tried to twist what
I said into something quite different. He implied that I was justifying the
NY attacks because of other acts by the U.S. government (some of which he
said he was critical of, but which he WAS a part of).  I was forced to
respond very sharply and intentionally impolitely and accuse him of
intentionally lying about my meaning.

The point is not that we should minimize the terrible situation in New York
by discussing other crimes.

The point is that imperialism breeds wars. It breeds wars between
capitalists and workers and mainly between capitalists and capitalists. Some
of those capitalists/nationalists use religion and other ideologies to get
some workers to support the capitalist/nationalist causes.  The consequences
are that the wars that imperialism (capitalism) creates that inevitably
kills so many civilians in dramatic, violent ways, (as well as many more
through disease and hunger.)  And the victims in New York were the victims
of conflict caused by imperialism and different groups of nationalists
fighting for political and economic power.

=======
As a side point, in a few weeks, perhaps when passions have died down and so
it won't be accused of "minimizing" the terrible situation in New York, it
might be worthwhile showing "The Panama Deception" in many classes. Not to
justify what happened in New York but to help students develop a better
understanding of just how imperialism/militarism kills so many people.

Alan Spector