Re: CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating Palistinians to
by Charlie Stevens
13 September 2001 17:22 UTC

At 11:54 AM 9/13/01 -0400, C. Bandhauer wrote:
>In my efforts to help students humanize the "terrorists" and socially
>construct the "evil," if someone could direct me to additional sources,
>books, websites, or something on this list that would give an effective
>chronology of US bombings, embargoes, arms deals, etc. etc. and who and how
>these have affected people in the Middle East, I would be grateful.
>
>Carina

I, too, could use these data to inform my efforts to contextualize
Tuesday's events.
As an anthropologist at a traditionally conservative school, I, too, am
faced with Carina's dilemmas. I spent three hours in classes yesterday
trying to guide students toward understanding or, at least, recognizing the
political, cultural, historical and economic contexts in which Tuesdays
events were enmeshed. Without a doubt, these were the most difficult issues
to which I have had to teach.  I began with stories of US military
statisticians' projections of "collateral damage" that might eventuate if
Iraq's water supply and treatment centers were to be bombed (as I
understand they subsequently were...against Geneva Conventions). I then
asked if this was "terrorism" and the discussion of our our complacency and
arrogance ensued. Some students were receptive and later thanked me by
e-mail for presenting an alternative view. Some were obviously hostile to
even to possibility that contexts were relevant at all and these students
have unreflectively picked up the rhetoric infused with the appropriate
lexicon: "barbarian vs, civilized" "they and our way of life". Others have
recently sent me an editorial from a Canadian newspaper where the author
talks about "America the good neighbor".  Not yet ready to return to the
syllabus, I will distribute "America the good Neighbor" tomorrow and
present it as received ideology and oppose that idiom with America the
Great Satan and see if we can tease out the truths at either ends of the
binary opposition reminding them that there is no shortage of sound
evidence that "ordinary" humans can be induced to do horrendous things in
particular contexts.

Obviously, none of this is easy at this particular time. Then, last night,
I read Edward Said's piece "The Public Role of Writers and Intellectuals"
in the last issue of The Nation and my resolve was again strengthened.  I
would appreciate any guidance in how we might effectively approach this
issue to lead students toward the realization that now might be a good time
to construct a different world (however naive that may sound).
Charlie Stevens