Re: CNN USING 1991 FOOTAGE of celebrating Palistinians to
by C. Bandhauer
13 September 2001 15:49 UTC

I hope the video tapes are fakes - the effect of these tapes is truly
disturbing.  I teach just a bit more than an hour north of Manhattan, and
have many students whose parents commute on the Metro North to work
everyday.  It's been very difficult to change their mindset from "America
the Kind & Gentle Superpower," to a (if only) slightly more critical
perspective.  I did have one student (out of 130) who claimed his father had
witnessed "Middle Easterners" in New Jersey watching and cheering as the
buildings pancaked (I have NO proof of this).  I also heard a story from
another student about how people from "that country" hate Americans "because
US military women went there some years ago without veils on and it had
offended 'them.'"  I've heard lots of "we should just bomb 'thems'" and even
talk of (sigh) rounding 'them' all up and kicking 'them' out of 'America'.
And another, that "if they hate us so much why do they keep coming here?"
  It's been very difficult to try to get students to think more critically
about 'why' many in the world hate 'America,'  particularly since emotions
(especially yesterday) were so raw and I do have several students whose
loved ones were in the WTC, yet to be accounted for.

In my efforts to help students humanize the "terrorists" and socially
construct the "evil," if someone could direct me to additional sources,
books, websites, or something on this list that would give an effective
chronology of US bombings, embargoes, arms deals, etc. etc. and who and how
these have affected people in the Middle East, I would be grateful.

Carina

Carina A. Bandhauer, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Social Sciences