Re: What the cycles suggest
by SOncu
20 August 2001 23:06 UTC

Mike Alexander wrote:

> How one views long waves will depend what theory is employed to look at
them. As > Joshua Goldstein points out in his excellent book on the topic,
there is no paradigm > for the study of longwaves, just various schools of
thought.

I have a friend, a Russian physicist, who in these days sells these so-called
"prepayment models" to the mortgage portfolio managers.

He once said this:

"Give me any time series data and I will fit them a Fourier Series. It will
be a perfect fit but it will neither explain nor predict anything."

More or less, that is. A more "scientific" statement of this is the so-called
"Lucas critique" of the 1970s by the famous economist Lucas (sp?). I
sometimes wonder whether we are falling into the trap of "fitting a Fourier
Series to time series data" or not in this longwaves business.

A structural model, similar to the one Arrighi attempted in his "Long
Twentieth Century", based on capital accumulation cycles, seems more
meaningful me, if we want a model with some explanatory and predictive powers
to use to steer our way into the future better.

Not that I believe future is predictable.

Best,
Sabri Oncu