apologies
by Alan Spector
08 August 2001 20:07 UTC

CJR!: You quoted me (Alan Spector) this way:

> Once
> someone accepts the validity of capitalism's basic premises, it becomes
> childish for that person to complain that the capitalist system isn't
> "playing fair" and then to beg these genocidal [class-eliminating]
> murderers to please "play nice."

and then added this commentary of your own:

> -- Then you admit that any attempt to create a classless society (despite,
> in my view, the ultimate failure of any such attempt) requires the
> implementation of a genocidal policy to accomplish it?

> //CJR

My comment (in plain, non-bold or italic type):

What in the world are you talking about? Do I believe that violence is necessary in self-defense? Of course, and so do you. Who in the world equates "violence" with "genocide?"  Nobody with any understanding of history!  I guess the Native American Indians attempted to commit genocide against the U.S.military, and the Vietnamese committed genocide against the U.S. military, and the Jews who rose up during the Warsaw ghetto uprising against the Nazis were trying to commit genocide against the poor Nazis, by your logic.

How clever, and quite dishonest, of you to add two words   "[class eliminating]"  when my original quote was:

"There are plenty of other genocides created by capitalism acting in a rational way to defend its irrational class society. It is capitalism, and class society itself, which are irrational in the sense that they harm the overwhelming majority of people in the world. Once someone accepts the validity of capitalism's basic premises, it becomes childish for that person to complain that the capitalist system isn't "playing fair" and then to beg these genocidal murderers to please "play nice."

To CJReid: You are free to disagree with my interpretation and deny that capitalism has committed genocidal murders, if you choose. But changing my words---

(oh, I know, you put them in brackets to demonstrate that they are added, but that point might not be clear to many who read your twisted version of my comment because words added with [  ] brackets imply that the additions are consistent with the original meaning, not reversing the meaning! ),

---- so twisting my meaning and then responding to your own words as if you were responding to my words is the crudest form of dishonesty. So I'm finished dealing with you.

And apologies to the WSN list for any encouragement I might have given to this "Charles J. Reid" and any time you might have wasted because of my foolish attempts to debate with such a character.

Alan Spector