FWD: Call for papers
by past
31 July 2001 18:46 UTC

Please find attached a copy of "call for papers" -- If you are interested,
please contact Torry Dickinson, Associate Professor, Women's Studies Program,
3 Leasure Hall, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506
phone:(785)-532-5738, fax:(785) 532-3299 or e-mail:dickins@ksu.edu

Thank you.

/pas

®LM5¯®RM75¯

                                                        July 31, 2001
CALL FOR PAPERS

I am a women's studies teacher, world-system researcher, and applied, social
change scholar who is developing a book proposal for an edited collection. As a
result of publishers' interest in my research, I am seeking ®MDUL¯drafts of
articles®MDNM¯ (no more than 25 pages) and ®MDUL¯detailed abstracts®MDNM¯ for
articles (four pages) on the integration of university and community research,
community development education for social change, and the relationships
between different social change theories and contemporary global and local
social change efforts. This project has grown out of my engagement with
community-based education and reflects my previous publications, including
®MDUL¯CommonWealth: Self-Sufficiency and Work®MDNM¯, ®MDUL¯Fast Forward: Work,
Gender and Protest®MDNM¯ (co-authored with Robert Schaeffer), and "Reunifying
Community and Transforming Society" (in ®MDUL¯Research in Community
Sociology®MDNM¯, ed., Dan Chekki).

The edited collection of academic and research-based community writings will
explore how we can join university and community knowledge to understand and
facilitate social change processes. The collection will be multicultural,
global, and sensitive to gender, age, class, ethnicity/"race", sexual identity,
and urban/rural relationships. This academic book should be accessible to
readers who have a college reading level. The ideas should be complex enough to
interest a multicultural, multi-generational, and international group of
readers from the global North and South. Readers will include: community
activists, social change practitioners, alternative policy developers, global
analysts, advocates for democracy and equality, undergraduate and graduate
students, higher education faculty, and teachers who want to engage students in
experiential learning, community-based education, and service learning.

Submitted writings should communicate the understanding that university
education on social change works when it is connected to the real-life practice
of making social change happen in community or global settings and/or 2)
community and global social change works when it is developed within the
context of intellectual inquiry and systemic, applied research.

Critical components of submissions might address the following:

-- the development of feminist participatory research, including in the areas
of self-sufficiency, sustainability, and the creation of global alternatives
-- the revaluing of reproductive work (including "women's work") and
community-based educational efforts to define regional and global alternatives
-- a world-systemic, critical analysis of world inequality and world oligarchy,
or a critical review of literature on historical and global formulations of
alternatives
-- new and historically useful ideas about how we can reach across South-North
and urban/rural divides to develop alternatives
-- relationships between community development education and systemic social
change
-- theoretical, historical and global analyses (including reviews of      the
literature) of theory/activism/praxis, including analyses of      the
literature on community development education and feminisms
-- analyses of the relationships between feminist analysis, world-system
analysis, post-colonial and anti-racist analysis, and other social change
theories, and relationships between these theories and applied social change
efforts.

In general, this project's goals are threefold: 1) to share effective
approaches for understanding change within dominant institutions and
alternative grassroots and global groups; 2) to share new visions and ideas
about social change; and 3) to develop and share comprehensive historical and
theoretical frameworks that enable us to locate community and university
activism within the complexities of global and systemic change.

If you are interested in contributing to this book, I would like to have your
submission ®MDUL¯by Friday, September 28®MDNM¯ AT THE LATEST. When you submit
your article or abstract, please ®MDUL¯send a printed, hard copy to the address
below®MDNM¯. But to facilitate the development of this project, be sure to
include your e-mail address. I will get back to you as soon as possible (by the
end of December, if not before) and let you know the progress I have made with
identifying articles and submitting the proposal to publishers. Thanks for your
interest in social change!

Torry Dickinson, Associate Professor
Women's Studies Program
3 Leasure Hall