Fwd: Hardt on Charlie Rose
by Threehegemons
25 July 2001 18:57 UTC

In a message dated 7/25/01 11:35:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lnp3@panix.com
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Hardt on Charlie Rose
 Date:  7/25/01 11:35:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  lnp3@panix.com (Louis Proyect)
 To:    Threehegemons@aol.com, wsn@csf.colorado.edu

 ><< (Hardt is an english prof, so
 > what do you expect -- "it's all just a text.") >>
 >

 >Has Hardt ever said anything like this?  His buddy at Duke, Fredric
Jameson,
 >certainly would not.  Incidentally, Hardt is a professor of literature and
 >romance studies, in the Italian department, not an English professor.
 >
 >Steven Sherman

 Hardt is friendly to poststructuralism, which any sensible person would
 regard as utter garbage, especially after the Paul DeMan affair at Yale.
 Here's what Hardt says:

 "The dogmatic division that I find most prevalent and troublesome today is
 the one that separates Marxism from poststructuralism. First of all, the
 division is simply historically inaccurate. Poststructuralism is a vague
 term, but the majority of the French philosophers who are generally grouped
 under that rubric developed their thought within one vein or another of the
 Marxist tradition."

 (http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/theory_and_event/v004/4.3hardt.html)

Thank you.  My question is answered.  Apparently Hardt never said anything
remotely resembling "its all just a text."  I think from previous posts my
position is clear enough.  Although I have not yet had the opportunity to
read Empire front to back, nothing I've read so far on this list or elsewhere
about it has convinced me it is making a terrifically original contribution,
or that Hardt/Negri do not fall in the ahistorical trap of most globalization
theorists of extrapolating one trend in the present indefinitely into the
future.

But I don't see any reason to slander the guy, or more disturbingly, act as
if English professors and philosophers are uniformly idiots, fake marxists,
etc.  In general, this list regularly suffers from the  non-sensical
formulation that what goes on in the world can be divided into real
'material' conflicts and interests and 'reflective' ideas, culture, etc.

Steven Sherman