Michael Hardt and Charlie Rose
by Louis Proyect
25 July 2001 04:19 UTC

I woke up from a nap and turned on the tube to the PBS network around
ten after eleven. Thought I was having a nightmare. There was Michael
Hardt being interviewed by Charlie Rose, the obsequious, slack-jawed
host of a talk show that usually features interviews with corporate
CEO's, Hollywood stars, US State Department officials and
professional athletes.

Most of the interview consisted of pleasant chatter focusing on how
important it is to understand that there is no such thing as American
imperialism, only this diffuse network of global powers called
"Empire" that resembles the Internet. Proof of this is institutions
like the WTO, which presumably allocates as much weight to Fiji as
the USA. Of course, this must have been reassuring to the powers
behind PBS, namely Mobil-Exxon and Chase-Manhattan bank.

Rose wanted to pin down Hardt on this "communism" thing. He assured
the PBS talkmeister that this had nothing to do with what they tried
in Russia, but is more like St. Francis of Assissi, Baruch Spinoza
and Charlie Chaplin. At this point I could imagine the PBS producer
dialing up the FBI to tell them that they have dangerous conspiracy
on their hands.

Not one word was spent discussing the concrete manifestations of
imperialism, or Empire, or whatever you want to call it. Nothing
about war. Nothing about racism. Nothing about economic injustice.
Just idle chat about how to bring about "good" globalization. If
anybody has confusions about the kind of role that these "communists"
are playing, it should have been allayed by this performance.

A true communist would have gotten this reaction from Rose:

On a PBS talk show (January 22, 1998), host Charlie Rose asked a
guest, whose name I did not get, whether Castro was bitter about "the
historic failure of communism". No, the guest replied, Castro is
proud of what he believes communism has done for Cuba: advances in
health care and education, full employment, and the elimination of
the worst aspects of poverty. Rose fixed him with a ferocious glare,
then turned to another guest to ask: "What impact will the pope's
visit have in Cuba?" Rose ignored the errant guest for the rest of
the program.

(Michael Parenti, "Monopoly Media Manipulation")

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 07/25/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org