Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by kjkhoo
23 July 2001 17:57 UTC

Louis Proyect wrote:
>Since US imperialism was not fighting Korean and Vietnam type wars on the
>African continent, the build-up of friendly anti-Communist regimes was not
>necessary.

A little bit of problem about synchronising time-lines here, and also
the inability to explain some specificities.

That may "explain" Japan, S Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, maybe even
Singapore, to some degree. Some of us liked to say that the Asian
Financial Crisis, not the collapse of the Berlin Wall, marked the end
of the Cold War in E Asia; that the official version of the end of
the Cold War was just EuroAmericanbabble.

But how would one explain the Philippines? Or the differential
social, economic and political performances of the various states --
we really are not all grey, you know? Or the fact that the timing of
the surge in the rest of E Asia occurred post-1985 by which time
communism was pretty much moribund -- at least in E Asia, but
probably in Europe as well.

In the downturn of the early to mid-1980s, much of what later came to
be called the 'second tier of tigers' were being written off -- as a
quick run-through the Asian WSJ of the time would suggest: minimally
you might recall the talk that the used-by date of off-shore
platforms had passed. Then the opposite happened -- one explanation
here is that it was an outcome of Reagan's attempt to buttress US
capitalist interests in the form of the Plaza Accord; still, that too
cannot account for the specificities and variable performances of the
nation states, those entities in which you profess so much interest.
Anyway, that surge was what gave birth to the phrase "E Asian
Economic Miracle", which was then read backwards as a coherent,
seamless story. Of course E Asia was both convenient and inconvenient
to the powers-that-be and the IFIs -- the only apparently bright spot
in an ocean of disasters. Inconvenient, because for all their
gymnastics, it was really not quite assimilable to the 'standard'
theory (hence the ill-concealed glee when the financial crisis hit,
but also because of the hubris of the regime commanders of the
region); convenient, because it was by any assessment a bright spot
-- and they surely wanted to claim some credit for it, incorporating
it within their favoured mode of analysis -- a process perhaps partly
registered through successive years of the World Development Report
of the early 1990s through a subtle shift in terminology from market
to market-friendly.

The bigger story of worldwide disaster remains largely true. But this
little glitch that is E Asia cries out for explanation beyond the
comforting one of the need to build up friendly anti-communist
regimes. You concede too much and explain too little with such a
formulation. It requires a will to ignorance to be satisfied with it.
And that -- more than whatever labels you wish to saddle me with --
is what truly perturbs me. Don't you think it a little sad that I
should find a Stiglitz rather than someone like yourself a little
more enlightening? Because, believe it or not, my sympathies are
actually more with you than a Stiglitz.

kj khoo