Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by Louis Proyect
23 July 2001 16:39 UTC

At 12:11 AM 7/24/01 +0800, kjkhoo@pop.jaring.my wrote:
>It seems that to you, we are in that night where all cats are grey,
>if it's not your cat. For us, we'd rather be a Malaysian cat than a
>Ghanaian one (both former Brit colonies, getting independence within
>months of one another), a South Korea than an Argentina, much less a
>North Korea, etc. (clip)
>
>Please don't turn this around in a polemical flourish to suggest that
>this is TINA.

Is it okay if I think it to myself?

> If indeed it were TINA, a Malaysia and a Ghana should
>be about the same, having gained independence in broadly similar
>economic conditions (primary producers dependent on one or two
>commodities).

Since US imperialism was not fighting Korean and Vietnam type wars on the
African continent, the build-up of friendly anti-Communist regimes was not
necessary.

>Sorry, I think there was some miscommunication here.

Of course.

>As for Cuba, unless your proletarian revolution is about to happen in
>the US, it's not a pretty future to look at, is it? Actually, it
>wouldn't have to be a proletarian revolution even -- can you just
>manage a truly liberal one, willing to lift the blockade?

I'll see what I can do.

>I wouldn't dream of including you in the "us". The "us" refers to
>those of us in your night where all cats are grey.

No problem. You are for capitalist development. I am for abolishing
capitalism. That's what makes life interesting.

>Still, what makes you so sure that it is not indeed your US
>(proletarian and otherwise) that isn't the lost cause? And might not
>that be the mother of all lost causes -- requiring the rest of us to
>re-think our (national) options just to be able to live somewhat
>decently?

The US proletariat? I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to overthrow
the US capitalist class. My goal is much more modest, however. I am trying
to impart Marxist principles to a new generation of activists and scholars
who will most certainly face a mounting social and economic crisis here
that will demand exceptional leadership capabilities. For that generation
to succeed, it is necessary to flush false beliefs like Hardt-Negri's
"Empire" and "globaloney" in general down the toilet.

>Sorry, if this is all a bit tiresomely polemical.

I have no objection to you favoring capitalism. My beef is with Hardt and
Negri who favor capitalism while pretending to be communists.

Louis Proyect