Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by Threehegemons
22 July 2001 20:54 UTC

In a message dated 7/22/01 10:23:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
wilpert@cantv.net writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
 Date:  7/22/01 10:23:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  wilpert@cantv.net (Gregory Wilpert)
 Sender:    wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu
 To:    wsn@csf.colorado.edu ('WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK')

 > > >   Secondly, just because the new
 > > >world order is no longer neatly parcellized into sovereign
 > > >territorial units doesn't mean it is non-hierarchical.  In fact,
 > > >Negri and Hardt make this argument quite explicitly.  To
 > them, the US
 > > >represents the first tier of Empire (with fundamentalisms
 > and various
 > > >NGOs filling out the lower tiers).
 > >
 > > There is no textual support for this interpretation.
 >
 > There is none because my library copy has been recalled, so I
 > have nothing to refer to right now.  If you have one, look it
 > up, I assure you it's there.
 >
 > --
 > Boris Stremlin

 The passage being referred to here is, I believe, on page 309 and
 following, under the heading, "The Pyramid of Global Constitution"

 "At the narrow pinnacle of the pyramid there is one superpower, the
 United States, that holds the hegemony over the global use of force. . .
 On a second level, still within this first tier, as the pyramid broadens
 slightly, a group of nation-states control the primary global monetary
 instruments and thus have the ability to regulate international
 exchanges.

I don't understand--how does one analyze the tensions between the US and
Europe--over Kyoto and missile defense, or the even more obvious tensions
between the US and Russia/China over the use of force etc with this
framework?

 Below the highest tier of unified global command is a second tier in
 which command is distributed broadly across the world, emphasizing not
 so much unification as articulation. (...) The singe and univocal
 pinnacle of world command is thus articulated by the transnational
 corporations and the organization of markets. ... Still on the second
 tier, on a level that is often subordinated to the power of
 transnational corporations, reside the general set of sovereign
 nation-states that now consist essentially in local, territorialized
 organizations.
 The third and broadest tier of the pyramid, finally, consists of groups
 that represent popular interests in the global power arrangement."
 (p.309-311)

Does that mean that, by definition, Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro are in the
second tier, and only those who do not operate through states constitute the
third?  But then how does one conceptualize the many popular movements that
also have electoral agendas (for example, the Workers Party in Brazil)?

Steven Sherman

 I hope this helps.

 Greg Wilpert

 Gregory Wilpert