Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa
by Boris Stremlin
21 July 2001 21:09 UTC

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Louis Proyect wrote:

> At 04:01 AM 7/21/2001 -0400, Boris Stremlin wrote:
> >The point about Marx's appearance in the Herald Tribune has already been
> >well made (Marx also used to smoke cigars and wear suits, I hear).
>
> Marx wrote for the Herald Tribune to make a living, as did a number of
> Trotskyists write for Luce's Time-Life-Fortune publishing complex during
> WWII. One of the subscribers to my mailing list is a news producer at CNN.
> And so on. What Marx did when he was not filing journalistic pieces for the
> Tribune is what he is best remembered for.

First, the issue was whether the mere appearance of an article in the
mainstream press meant that it necessarily espoused bourgeouis ideology.
Justifying such articles because the authors were trying to make a living
is just changing the subject - leger de main.  Second, N&H have not
published anything in the US mainstream press (as far as I know) aside
from the editorial which I posted. Third, it is not clear that the
attention they are getting is what they will best be remembered for.

> >   Secondly, just because the new
> >world order is no longer neatly parcellized into sovereign territorial
> >units doesn't mean it is non-hierarchical.  In fact, Negri and Hardt make
> >this argument quite explicitly.  To them, the US represents the first tier
> >of Empire (with fundamentalisms and various NGOs filling out the lower
> >tiers).
>
> There is no textual support for this interpretation.

There is none because my library copy has been recalled, so I have nothing
to refer to right now.  If you have one, look it up, I assure you it's
there.

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu