Re: Intro?
by Threehegemons
14 May 2001 19:08 UTC

In a message dated 5/14/01 8:33:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
br00162@binghamton.edu writes:

<< Subj:     Intro?
 Date:  5/14/01 8:33:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  br00162@binghamton.edu (C. Bandhauer)
 Sender:    wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu
 To:    WSN@csf.colorado.edu

 I have no better ideas than Khaldoun's for Social Theory texts, but if
 anyone could recommend books/ texts for Intro to Sociology I would be
 grateful.  I've got two sections of it in the fall.
 Thanks,
 Carina

I recommend 'The McDonaldization of Society' by George Ritzer.  Although it
has serious problems (he comes off as a bit of a crybaby) it does actually
situate its theory around a place all students relate to.  I would not
recommend Michael Schwalbe "The Sociologically Examined Life".  Written in an
easy, anecdotal style, it nevertheless makes extremely tendentious arguments
(frequently couched in the tone that the 'sociologically mindful' will always
agree with him) with virtually no evidence to back them up.  I've been using
selections from the NYTimes series 'How Race is Lived in America'--I think
they've put them together in book form as well.  Sage has an intro text
'Sociology for the Twenty First Century' (not to be confused with the Abu
Lughod book of the same name) that is supposed to be more world systemsesque.
 They also have a book of active learning exercises that sounds
promising--has anyone used it?

Steven Sherman