Re: Quebec wall down!
by Erik Loomis

The problem here is in the question. The role of academics in relation to
activism is not one of advice, but one of solidarity. Academics who preach
change without taking part in activism are irrelevant, while activists who
try to change things without an ultimate goal of changing society are
futile. Both groups need to work together on the same struggles to
accomplish real and meaningful change in solidarity.

A good example of this is the campaign for workers rights at the University
of Tennessee-Knoxville. There students, workers, community members, unions,
and university professors have come together to actively work for improved
working conditions at the university. Each group adds its strengths to the
campaign. The campaign would be unsuccessful without the involvement of the
activists, and would be much more difficult without the involvement of the
academics. When both activists and academics come together in a common
cause, the campaign is much stronger for it.

Finally, activists have a lot more concerns and room for dialogue between
themselves and academics than how to scale a wall or get a fax machine. Many
activists, particularly student activists, are new to activism and do not
have a clear vision of how to change society. Partially because of the void
of leadership from many communities, many of the students have turned to a
form of anarchism, which is destructive to any kind of sustained movement
anywhere (my personal opinion here). One place where academics could really
help out the movement is to engage their student activists and guide them on
a road to a politics that would give them a vision of how to change the
world for the better. I think World Systems Theorists are in a much better
position to do this than almost any other academics.

Erik Loomis