"Rise of China" and WST
by Daniel Pinéu

Dear fellow members,

On reading the current torrent flow of postings about the "rise of China" and WST, I was quite interested on the subject. I hope you will have a few comments I wish to make. I'm sorry, but I couldn't look up so far any empirical/quantitative data to support my cooments. Still, here they are:

  1. First of all, to point out that this is merely an intellectual exercise, for none can predict with any degree of certainty using an instrument (WST) explicitly not designed for such a purpose. WST is primarily a methodology developed to analyse "historical capitalism and the capitalist civilization" (Wallerstein, 1983). It is a like a pair of binnoculars: a wonderful instrument to magnify and dissect some realities (i.e. the past and present); creating only optical illusions when misused (i.e. focusing on future events).
  2. Most of the analysis so far posted focus primarily on countries, namely, on the Nation-state we know as the Popular Republic of China. I guess this is a misconception that takes its toll on the accuracy of results. FIRST, because World-systems Theory, as far as I can understand it, was developed with the explicit purpose of overcoming the centrality of the national units. It should be applied to regions, or areas instead... SECOND, because China is not an homogenous unit in itself - it has areas which are manifestly peripheral, some which are semi-peripheral, and some that are arguably near core status, much like a sub-system within the structure of the world-system. So, treating it as a single and undifferentiated unit does not strike me as the correct methodology.
  3. Then, there is the problem of development, as Frank theorized it. Clearly, China is pretty much on the same position as most of South America, in that it is still exploited by core regions, who prevent it from appropriating internally-generated surplus. (Actually, and once again, this pattern is mirrored within China - its most advanced regions exploit its less advanced ones.) So, thus integrated as a (semi?)peripheral country in the world economic structure, and suffering from blatant underdevelopment - see latest UN figures - it seems highly questionable to me that this country/area will move to the core anytime soon.
This is not to deny the rise of China within the world system: one cannot remain indiffernent to its advances in economic performance (at least in some areas), to its crescent military power, to its demographic importance as one of the biggest markets and labour-pools in the world, or even to its tendentially hegemonic traditions in the region.

Some authors - notably Frank and esp.Arrighi - have for a while now theorized about a trend of the core to move steadily westwards. In the current phase of global transition, the core is said to be moving westward again, thus leaving the euro-atlantic area toward the Pacific rim. (Someone mentioned Castells' 3 vols. master-piece, "The Information Age"... He makes quite a conivincing analysis of this trend). If this is indeed so, then China will have a chance to move up to Core status when the world system moves into another Kondrattief A phase. But, again, this is not a swift process, and I do not believe we can discern its symptoms yet, not in the Chinese case anyway.

Quid juris?