Re: "rise of china" and wst
by wwagar

        My earlier answer, to the effect that theory has little or no
predictive power, was mostly wry and ironic, in view of my own misfortunes
with the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe in the first edition of A SHORT
HISTORY OF THE FUTURE (1989, gasp!).  But such chastening experiences do
serve to underscore the immense difficulty of forecasting, even with the
best and most powerful of theories.

        It is also difficult, even with world-system theory in fullest
fettle, to determine just what is a semiperipheral and what is a
peripheral country.  The North American colonies entered the system as
peripheral areas, not semiperipheral, in my judgment.  But Jon is right
that much of China today, like much of the Soviet Union in its time
and some of Russia today, is peripheral, although the rest (was) is
semiperipheral.  Cf. Brazil, which has sometimes been described as "a
Belgium tacked on to an India."  It is also true, as Jon says, that the
ability to offer serious contention for hegemony and possession of core
status are not necessarily synonymous.  Certainly the Soviet Union in the
1970s was offering serious contention for hegemony in the world-system,
thanks to its size and technological prowess, whereas Denmark was entirely
out of the running, although Denmark belonged to the core and the Soviet
Union--I would argue--did not.  The same Denmark, I might add, conquered
most of Great Britain in the days of King Canute.

        But sheer size or mere wealth or clear opportunity do not
determine what a country will do.  The Japan of 1941 was not the Japan of
2001.  The China in 1912 was not the China of 1950 or 1975 or 2000.
Everything from policies to perceptions to relative strengths to national
will keeps changing, because of internal and external changes and
relationships.  That is why theory is so much better with hindsight.

        Warren