Re: I told you so.
by Richard N Hutchinson
16 February 2001 22:43 UTC

My take on the Bush Administration's military strategy/policy so far is
quite different.  During the campaign he called for a much smaller
increase for the Pentagon than Gore, and they are persisting in that.  The
proposal (not set in stone yet) to skip a generation of weapon systems is
not making the generals or the contractors happy.

I'm surprised, but I think they're being smart.  Rather than spend
billions on systems that just modernize the forces, ("preparing to
fight yesterday's war"), they seem to be going with the RMA (Revolution in
Military Affairs), attempting to move to a new, more information warfare-
based strategy.

Of course the money shifted from procurement into R&D will benefit some
corporations, but it will certainly harm some in the short run.  So Bush &
Co. are not just pawns of the military-industrial complex in some
simplistic fashion, not based on this direction of policy.

RH