Re: More X-Raying of our list
by Alan Spector

I agree with and appreciate Arno Tausch's research about WSN. It is
certainly unusual for us researchers to be the object of study. Does feel a
little odd, doesn't it? Makes us think how others might feel when they are
reseached. Seriously, I agree also with the spirit of his posts. I have a
couple of, hopefully, friendly amendments/adjustments to his conclusions and
implications. First, some of us include the original message (thankfully at
the end, rather than the beginning as was the custom a few years ago) along
with the new message. So anyone responding to a message that had certain
"bad words" would have those words in the new message, even though the new
message might have more of substance.

Second, it is a point of legitimate debate as to whether some of those words
are "empty rhetoric" or useful categories of analysis.  I would argue that
both "reactionary" and "fascist" can be empty rhetorical insults, but that
they can also be useful analytical categories as well. And certainly the
words "imperialist" or "imperialism" are not only suitable, but central to a
list that is involved with World Systems Analysis!  In fact, while I
sometimes use the word "globalization", it could be argued that the concept
of "globalization" is also saturated with partisan ideology, especially when
it is used in analysis where the word "imperialism" is more appropriate. No
doubt many of us on this list have experienced attempts by others, often
mainstream or allied with more "middle of the road" perspectives, to
marginalize our arguments by saying that "our rhetoric is too extreme."
Sometimes their criticisms are valid. But sometimes they are attempts to
define the limits of the critical analysis and bias the conclusions towards
their own ideological bias, by their ability to exclude certain types of
analysis from the discussion, while they claim they are only asking for
"more objective or more civil language." I've had some complain that my use
of the word "racism" is inflammatory, and I've even had some assert that
"capitalism" is an empty rhetorical word and that I should use "democracy"
instead. Now there's a term  quite subject to empty rhetorical use in the
name of mainstream ideology!

In any case, I'm not accusing Arno of trying to bias anything with his
useful analysis of WSN, (and it's a sad reflection of the inflammatory
nature of some posts that I have to put this disclaimer in, but I just
wanted to help turn the temperature down.) I mainly just want to caution us
about censoring ourselves out of using certain concepts and therefore
biasing the discussion, intentionally or unintentionally, towards less
critical/more mainstream analysis.  In some settings, the terms "fascist"
and "reactionary" can be useful parts of an analysis, and most certainly,
"imperialist/m," are appropriate terms for analytical discussion on a list
discussing world system processes.

Cheers,
Alan Spector

P.S. -- We all might not agree with an analysis of "which posts are the
extraneous ones" of course. I would agree with some of those who stated that
some of the debates between individuals, especially on the finer points of
abstract rhetoric,  might be more suitable for private debate between those
individuals rather than involving the whole list. Not all of those posts.
Some of them might be of general interest. But some of them clearly have the
character of a personal letter or telephone call between two individuals
rather than being of interest to the whole list.